Pages

Saturday 28 December 2013

Whole Food Blonde Macaroons

I've never actually had a traditionally made macaroon.

The first one I tried was at the raw vegan restaurant I was working at in Toronto, and man were they addicting. But the ingredients we're not my general M.O., cashews, coconut oil... 

By no eans is this recipe low fat, it's packed with coconut goodness, but it is whole food, nut-free-, gluten-free, flour-free, dairy-free goodness.

They're great for serving at parties (hint, hint: New Years) since they are a handheld goody that just melts in your mouth. Plus, they are so easy to make, that you can get your non-kitchen savvy friend to make them to help you with all the preparations. 

Parties, while they used to be frequent in my life, are now usually reserved for special occasions. The crowds aren;t my scene anymore. I much prefer the intimate small dinner "party" but I'd throw a party anytime just for an excuse to make these. (It's also great that I can downsize the recipe to make just a few, party for one?)

That being said, I've had my fair share of gatherings the past few weeks and I can't wait to get to Costa Rica and have a nice schedule of writing, training and making magic happen!

T minus 4 days until departure!

I've had about as much winter as I can enjoy, once the -25C starts coming along, I'm pretty much sick of it. I'm so lucky to have the opportunity this year to stay warm! Now, I will still be delivering the recipes, some cold weather comfort, some raw tropical goodness. 


Back to the Macaroons!







Macaroons 

Ingredients:

- 2 cup + 3 cups dried coconut divided
- 1/2-1 cup water
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- If chocolate, add 1/2 cup cacao or carob
- Pinch salt. 

Pre-heat oven to 180F/

In a high speed blender or food processor, dump in the first 2 cups of coconut, maple syrup, vanilla and salt (and cacao/carob if using), Start blending, adding water if needed, until the mixture is smooth.

In a large bowl, pour the blender contents in and add the other 3 cups of coconut. Fold in well until everything is homogenous. 

With an ice cream scoop, form the "dough" into it and then place on a parchment lined backing sheet. 

Place in the oven for 2 hours, until the outside is slightly crispy but the insides are still moist.

Enjoy!!

Like what you see?

Check out and LIKE the Plates for Plants FACEBOOK PAGE and see updates, pictures and new posts and sign up for our newsletter for exclusive content!

No comments:

Post a Comment