Pages

Thursday 9 January 2014

Holy Moly Low-Fat Chili Cheese fries

Sometimes I spend hours of my time just thinking about how to make favorite foods into healthy alternatives. Not even just my favorites, but everyones. It's a question I love asking people. I think I might be obsessed...

My partner and I had a guilty pleasure restaurant in Toronto that made epic vegan Chili Cheese Fries. I was hooked. But they we're so full of fat and processed foods that I felt terrible after eating them. I wanted all the taste and satisfaction without the unhealthies.

So, as I have been known to do, I brainstormed up a healthy delicious way to make these something I could have for dinner whenever the craving came on.

The trick here was making everything from scratch with quality ingredients that taste amazing on their own, and even better when combined.  The techniques themselves are simple and easy to accomplish.

I think that this would be an epic dish to serve at the Super-bowl, or any party really. Or dinner. I actually made these for the first time at a Grey Cup party that I hosted. I wasn't exactly doing it for the game. I was much more motivated by great company and being able to whip up a bunch of food to share with everyone.

As a small side note, There is the suggestion of using Daiya, which is vegan cheese. It is on the processed side of things, but I think that it's a great product to use to introduce the vegan lifestyle. You can also make a simple cheeze sauce with nutritional yeast to get that cheezy flavor. I'll be posting an easy one soon!







Holy Moly Chili Cheese Fries

Ingredients:

- 1 batch Oven Fries (below)
- 1 recipe Guacamole (below)
- 1/2 recipe sour cream
- Nutritional Yeast or Daiya or Cheeze sauce of choice
- Green Onions, chopped.
- Hot sauce of choice

Assemble into a bowl as follows: Fries, Cheeze or nooch, chili, guac, sour cream and green onions. Hot sauce to top it off if desired!

To keep it low fat, only use about a tablespoon of guac and sour cream per bowl.

Dig in!




Oven Fries:

- 10 medium potatoes, cut into fries or wedges
- Hot water
- Seasoning of choice

Soak your potatoes in hot water for at least 3 hours, if you don't have that much time, soak them for 20-25 minutes in water that has been boiled.

Pre heat oven to 415F

On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, spread out the potatoes in one even layer and season to taste (I used a salt-free cajun spice mix).

Cook fries for 20 mins, flip and cook another 10-15 until cooked through. If you want them to have a bit of a crisp broil on high for a few minutes but make sure you watch them carefully! I almost burnt a batch once or twice by getting distracted by other things.

Guacamole:

- 2 medium or 1 large avocado
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 small tomato, diced.
- 1 lime, juice of.
- Cumin, pepper, cayenne.

Mash avo, mix in the rest in, Voila!

Sour Cream:

- Meat of 2 young thai coconuts
- 1/2 cup pre soaked sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp or so lemon juice
- Water to get it all going.

-Blend, Blend, Blend... Blend more. Until smooth as, take a bit between your fingers to ensure it's totally smooth.

ENJOY!!

Like what you see?

Check out and LIKE the Plates for Plants FACEBOOK PAGE and see updates, pictures and new posts and sign up for our newsletter for exclusive content!

No comments:

Post a Comment