Pages

Monday 13 January 2014

Meatless Monday's: Cheezy Miso Quinoa Bowl

Ah Monday's, such an under-appreciated day!

I totally get why, for most it's the day that you get to go back to the daily grind. Which is why I totally support the Meatless Monday initiative. It's a great way to start off the week on the right foot. Filling yourself up with some quality nutrient dense food will help make this day better.

Also, I need to start learning to post earlier.

I'm still trying to get the hang of this scheduling thing that I told myself I would keep up with as a New Year's goal. I don't call them resolutions anymore, since I make a pretty decent list of things that I want to accomplish in the next year. They aren't all year long commitments, but I make my health and fitness goals every year. Like this year I want to run a half marathon and do a sprint triathlon among a few other things. There's also things like wanting to publish an e-book, a 30 day meditation and yoga challenge and coming here to Costa Rica. 2014 is going to be busy! Just like I like it!

Anywho, this bowl is one of the things that I just love to eat whenever I'm in the mood for some comfort food. The sauce has been a recipe of mine, that's been changed up a bit, from my very early vegan days when I was craving cheezy things often. Now, having said that, it doesn't exactly taste like cheese by any means,but has a very similar flavor profile that I find definitely hits the spot. It's also great as a Mac n' Cheeze sauce, over potatoes, broccoli...









Cheezy Miso Quinoa Bowl
Ingredients:
- 2-4 cups quinoa
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced.

Sauce:
- 2-3 cup almond milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp miso (or to taste)
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp turmeric

Cook the quinoa and the sweet potatoes in the same pot, about 20 minutes.

While the quinoa/s-p’s are cooking, sauté the onion with a bit of water until translucent, then add the rest of the veggies with ¼ cup of water and cover to steam.

In another pot, combine the nooch, turmeric and flour until well incorporated, then whisk in the almond milk and miso. Heat on a medium-high heat, whisking frequently until it has thickened up. Now add the salsa.

Assemble your bowl! Quinoa, sweet potato, then veggies and as much sauce as you prefer! I basically drown my bowl in sauce, but then again I am a sauce addict!

ENJOY!!

Like what you see?

Check out and LIKE the Plates for Plants FACEBOOK PAGE and see updates, pictures and new posts and sign up for our NEWSLETTER for exclusive content! (See the top right corner to sign up!)

2 comments:

  1. How many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends how much you eat. In my house, it's two or three large portions, depending on the amount of quinoa used. But it will comfortably feed 4-5.

    ReplyDelete