Pages

Monday 10 March 2014

Meatless Monday: Tortilla Pizza from Scratch

I have been lazy these past few days.


I'm making excuses to not do much work and read my days away (or watch season 5 of Grey's Anatomy) because it's my "birthday week" and all. But then again, I'm making massive amounts of banana ice cream that could count as testing for my next ebook...


On the other hand, I really don't think having a few days "off" is a bad idea at all. We all have this mentality drilled into us that always being busy is good and means we're being productive. Down time is a necessity and I have been working 6-7 days a week lately. Off days usually involve going to the market and the odd beach day. I'm definitely planning on taking more days to enjoy this amazing country.

What do you do to unwind?


I like to sleep in (which now means anytime past 7) and take my sweeeet time getting out of bed. An easy breakfast before a short yoga session, then either reading a book, taking a walk or lazing around watching a movie. The day just continues this way. I make easy simple meals, or if I feel like it's an "indulge" day, I'll make 3 recipes in a day. Sometimes my lazy days mean eating days. In comes the tortilla pizza.


This is one recipe that would fit in nicely between either of my favorite lazy days. It isn't too complex and doesn't take very long, but it tastes indulgent and makes for a great movie meal. I can easily eat 5-6 of them... Pizza doesn't have to be junk food! Make it in a  tortilla and it becomes an easy meal to whip up any day of the week.

I made this one south-american themed, but you can easily make it more traditional with your toppings of choice.






Tortilla Pizza
Fixings:

-       Crust:
o   1 cup masa harina
o   ½ cup water
-       Toppings:
o   Steamed kale
o   Roasted red peppers
o   Fresh tomatoes

o   Refried Beans

Mix the crust ingredients together until a firm dough is formed. Separate the ball into two roughly even ones and roll them out with the method detailed here, but thicker and with a tiny crust if desired. Also, leave it on until crisp instead of still soft, you want that crunch for your pizza.

You can also use store bought tortillas to make this extra fast and convenient.

Add on your toppings of choice, I used refried beans topped with sautéed kale and red peppers plus fresh tomatoes and a sprinkle of nooch.

Put the assembled deliciousness back into the pan or into the over to crisp up and heat the toppings up.

*** SIDENOTE***

I've just release a FREE ebook "12 Quick and Decadent Smoothie Recipes". You can get it right now by signing up for my newsletter in the right sidebar. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment